This past Saturday, CHCM was pleased to welcome local dietician Jenna Umbriac to the chef demonstration table. Many folks braved the weekend’s chilly weather and stopped by for a taste. A number of patrons and farmers contributed to the collection of market produce for Manna‘s (the Montgomery County food bank) FreshGive food drive.
Right. You want that recipe, eh?
Skillet Sausage with Braised Autumn Vegetables
- 1 pound Stachowski’s chicken sausage cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1 medium Chesley Farm onion, chopped
- 1 sweet potato from Pleitez Produce, washed and cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 1 tart Chesley Farm apple, washed, cored, and cut into 3/4″ cubes
- 1 bunch Dragonfly Farms curly kale, shredded
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4-1/2 cup chicken broth
- black pepper, to taste
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and onions and cook until onions are browned and sausage cooked through.
2. Stir in sweet potato and cook, covered, until fork-tender.
3. Add apples, garlic, and thyme. Cook 3 minutes. Top with kale, pour in broth and simmer, covered for 2-3 minutes until greens are just wilted and brightly colored. Uncover and continue to cook until liquid is evaporated, about 2 minutes.
4. Place on plate and season with salt and black pepper as needed.