We provide information on purchasing, preparing, and preserving healthful foods through on-site guided market tours, cooking demonstrations, and seasonal recipe recommendations.
We work with community partners to assist those who qualify apply for and utilize additional food benefits.
- Stop by our market information booth Saturdays during the 2012 market season, 9am-1pm
- Visit DC Hunger Solutions for help applying for nutrition assistance benefits. Phone: (202) 986-2200 / Email: email@example.com
- Check out this informational flier to see if you may be eligible, what information you will need, and where to apply for SNAP, WIC, and/or Senior FMNP benefits.
2. …using your nutrition benefits at the farmers market?
- Check out our Nutrition Assistance page for information on the various benefits you can use at the Columbia Heights Community Marketplace.
- Stop by our information booth to pick up Festibucks and tips on using them at our farmers market.
3. …finding your way around the market?
- Contact CHCM’s Outreach Specialist to request a guided market tour (en español también).
4. …eating healthfully on a budget?
Consider these tips:
- Cook instead of eating out/buying takeout.
- Buy whole foods (vs. prepared foods/microwaveable foods).
- Shop seasonally and/or in bulk for the lowest prices on fresh foods.
- Ask about discounts for bulk purchases.
- Consider canning, freezing, and/or drying ingredients to enjoy later in the season.
- Mix in other ingredients to stretch the proteins (i.e. beef and veggie stir fry instead of steak; chicken and broccoli alfredo instead of whole chicken breasts).
- Consider alternative sources of protein: eggs, beans, cheese.
5. …preparing your fresh produce?
- Get recipe ideas and tips from our on-site chef demonstrations.
- Check out our seasonal recipes.
- Contact our Outreach Specialist.
- Check our newsletters to see when local nutritionists will be at market throughout the season.
6. …getting to market?
- We’re working on setting up a market shuttle to make it easier for groups to get to/from the market. Please contact us to request a shuttle stop.
7. …necesita información en español?
- Por favor, mande un mensaje y diganos como podemos ayudarle.